Meanwhile. In Korea.

Friday, November 03, 2006

pictures.!

Ok, so last time I said that the urban spaces of Suji were beyond written description. Here's what I mean.

This is 'suburban' Korea:

These identical buildings are all apartments, and relatively upscale apartments to boot. When I came here, I was assured that Suji was a 'nice' area. And it is. Except I look at these damn things, and it feels like they're machines on the march. Keep in mind, though, that this city didn't exist as little as fifteen years ago. So the architects can be forgiven for running short on ideas while facing deadlines.

The paint jobs, though, are pretty nice.

The factory (or possibly a processing center?! Nobody seems to know for sure) is painted like it's a box of laundry detergent. Nice. The whole concept reminds me of a Dead Kennedys song.

In Korea, addresses are designated by block, and not by street. Numbers indicate the order in which buildings were built, and not their location in relation to the block.
Thus, all these buildings were built at around the same time, and fairly recently. But in older areas, things get confusing fast. By the way, I don't live in any of these buildings, I live in a four-floor apartment closer to the commercial area.

See that building at the very end? The shorter one? My school is there, and my home is thirty seconds away.

Misun, citizen of Seoul. Just pretend that I matched her striped shirt to the median on purpose, and jiggled the camera on purpose, and that this is an intentional 'artist' shot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home