Meanwhile. In Korea.

Friday, September 29, 2006

shining shoes.

"People subconsciously (sometimes even CONSCIOUSLY) judge you based on not only the type of footwear you sport, but also the general level of care you put into that footwear."

This is one of the first links I hit after I googled "how to shine shoes."

You see, I have accepted a job as an English teacher in South Korea. This is my first 'real job', where I have to actually think, and collect a salary that's more than minimum wage. Every travel guide I borrowed from the library told me to expect a conservative work culture.

"Along with a professional shave, a professional shoe shine is a rite of manhood. When you have a chance to get one done, give it a try. In many larger centers shoe shine stands are quite common, in other cities they may be quite hard to find, or perhaps out of the way."

A little about me, and where I'm from:
I never got the whole male-bonding experience of 'learning how to shave from your Dad.' I learned on my own. As for shining shoes, I worked at a Golf course during my teenage years, and one of my duties was to clean and polish golf shoes. "I want to see my reflection, boy! Do it well and there's a shiny quarter in it for you!"
I kid you not. Of course, I hated the job, and the stuck-up alcoholic clientele. And so, I made sure I did a half-assed job on the shoes.

But this is different. This is my first 'real job', and these are my shoes. And so, I wanted to actually learn to do this thing called 'shining shoes.'

"Dad", I said, "How exactly do you shine shoes?" He chuckled a little bit. "Buy some shoe polish, and put it on, and 'buff' them a little bit."
"Okay", I said, "But this website said that polishes are either wax-based or oil-based, and wax dries out the leather, and how do I tell them apart?"
He didn't know. Maybe this wasn't quite so important as I may have thought. Maybe I could do just fine foregoing another 'rite of manhood.'

Okay... apply shoe polish. Done. Buff to a shine. Hmmm... seems to be going well. Huh. I'm done.

Now, I've heard in many places that 'activism' is all a matter of juvenile rebellion, that it's all a matter of dressing down and waiting to grow up. That to be a college radical is all a matter of sewing a 'fuck cars' patch to your messenger bag and showing up at the right keg parties. But here I am, still as radical and angry as ever, shining shoes and somehow convincing people that I am an adult. I bought the shoes that I am shining for seven dollars at a thrift store. I am actually doing this. (The shoes look great!)

I think back to my old clients, the ruddy used-car salesmen that would close deals over a couple rounds of golf and a scotch. It's incredibly easy to fool these people. I suddenly realize that I could fool a convention, say anything at a conference as long as I have a tie, an official-looking nametage and a pair of shiny shoes. It's been done before. And you 'officials' tell us that activism is frivolous?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home